I jumped on the Papercut Patterns Rigel Bomber train and it’s definitely one of the fanciest things I’ve made sewing skills wise.
The pattern says to use a woven but I had this Marc Jacobs knit (from the Fabric Store in Wellington) that I really wanted to use.
I’m not 100% sold on the bomber style. To be honest, I have jackets that suit me better than the Rigel and though I’ve worn it to uni a few times and received compliments, I’m still a little on the fence.
Like others, I found the sleeves on the Rigel a tad short. I added two centimetres to them but I really should have added more, the sleeves could do to be a little bit longer. I also cut a size smaller than I usually would (I’d heard it ran large) and am happy with the fit, it fits comfortably without being unflatteringly baggy.
I also added a bagged lining, using a thin mesh knit. I’d never done one before and think it’s pretty good for my first time, considering I add to draft it myself! I used two tutorials from Kat and Laney and Grainline Studio to help me, as well as this post by Lladybird.
The Rigel also has welt pockets, which I messed up multiple times. I’ve done double welt pockets before so I thought single welts would be a piece of cake, but I was an idiot and had to unpick and re-do the welts about three times. First I had the pockets inside out, then I put two ‘A’ pocket pieces together instead of A and B and then I did something so weird I don’t even know how to explain it. Looking at the diagrams provided was making me even more confused so I ignored them and looked online at a bunch of tutorials and got there in the end. As a result one of them is a bit stretched out, but the fabric sort of blends so it works (just).
All in all, I’m pretty happy with it. If I was going to make another one I’d make it in black so I could wear it with more things and maybe lengthen it a little.
I’m headed to Europe for 5 weeks in Jan/Feb after saving up all year so I probably won’t be posting for awhile but next year I am hoping to be a bit more active. I’ve been sewing, it’s just finding a photographer (or creating a shoebox tripod) and the time; when essays are piling up it is not easy!
Till next time, and have a happy new year!